You may have heard by now that many changes are coming to Microsoft Outlook. Some of these changes include:
- Outlook will be ad-supported unless you have a Microsoft 365 subscription.
- There is not yet support for POP accounts, on-premise Exchange, PST files, or S/MIME.
- Beginning November 2023, offline mode capabilities will be added to Outlook. Mail, calendar events, and contacts will be stored on your device for offline viewing.
- There will be no support for COM add-ins, but Microsoft says Web add-ins will be supported.
- The new Outlook connects to Microsoft's cloud. For third party accounts (Gmail, Yahoo!, iCloud, IMAP and others), the Outlook client does not connect directly to the third party server. You give your account info to Microsoft, they sync your email to their cloud, and Outlook gets it from their cloud.
Our development team is evaluating the potential impact these changes may have, and is committed to providing email and collaboration features for Outlook users. As we receive additional updates, we will post them here on our blog. Meanwhile, please leave a comment below if you have questions or concerns.